The Lawmakers on monday were enraged over the reported spending of N186 billion on the Federal Government’s school feeding programme by the National Conditional Cash Transfer Office (NICTO) the coordinating office handling the project in the Presidency.
Chairman of the House Committee on Public Accounts Hon.Oluwole Oke and other lawmakers expressed serious reservations on the amount of public funds so far reported to have been expended in the programme.
But the National Coordinator told the lawmakers that the feeding programme had been on-going since 2016 when the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs initiated it and had so far gulped N186 billion Naira in its totality.
Other committee members notably Honey. Chudi Momah (Anambra, APGA) and Hon. Miriam Onuoha (Imo, APC) had denounced the report saying that many schools and communities are yet to benefit from school feeding programme.
Momah was visibly enraged as it was documented that 200,000 pupils from different families had benefited from it from Ihiala local council area of Anambra State which he refuted.
The committee said it will look at the documents submitted, adding that the funds may not have passed through appropriation by the parliament.